Embedding a YouTube video in WordPress is an excellent method of enriching your content and increasing engagement on your site. This comprehensive guide will walk you through each step to ensure you have all the knowledge you need to embed YouTube videos straight into your WordPress posts and pages.
Step 1: Selecting the Video You Want to Embed
Your first task will be to identify and select the YouTube video you’d like to embed on your WordPress website.
- Head to YouTube and find the video you want to embed.
- Once you have the video open, click on
Sharebutton located under the video frame, then click on
This will generate an embed code for that specific video.
Step 2: Copying the YouTube Video Embed Code
Once YouTube generates the embed code:
- Click on the
Copybutton to copy the code to your clipboard.
- Confirm that the entire embed code has been copied.
Remember: The embed code will include the
<iframe> tag. Be sure to include this in your copied text.
Step 3: Selecting the Place on Your WordPress Site to Embed the Video
Pick the page or post where you want the video to be featured.
- In the WordPress dashboard, navigate to
Pagesand either select an existing post to edit or create a new one.
Step 4: Embedding the Video into WordPress
Embedding your video is a simple two-step process:
- While in the editor (Gutenberg), put your cursor where you’d like the video to go, then click on the
+sign to add a new block.
Custom HTMLblock, paste the code, and click
Previewto ensure your video displays correctly.
To finalize the process, click on
Update to save your changes.
Using a WordPress Plugin to Embed YouTube Videos
If you frequently embed YouTube videos or need additional features, there are numerous WordPress plugins available that can simplify the process:
- Embed Plus for YouTube: It provides features such as autoplay, display video galleries, and more.
- YouTube by 10Web: Allows you to create channels, playlists, and single feeds.
Remember: Be sure to read the documentation for each plugin as the embedding process may vary slightly.
Embedding a YouTube Video in WordPress Widgets
Perhaps you wish to display a YouTube video in your site’s sidebar or footer area. Here’s a quick guid:
- From WordPress dashboard, navigate to Appearance -> Widgets.
- Drag and drop the
Textwidget where you want the video to appear.
- Paste your YouTube embed code into the content area of the Text widget.
You now know not only how to embed a YouTube video in a WordPress post or page, but also how to use plugins for more functions and ways to embed the video in sidebar widgets. This increases content richness and overall engagement with your website visitors. Happy embedding!