WordPress is known for its flexibility and user-friendly interface. One key feature that allows users to customize their site to suit their preference is the ability to edit the header in WordPress.
Why edit the header? The header, being the first thing your site visitors see, can substantially enhance your site’s look and feel. It’s a place for adding vital elements like your logo, site title, and navigation menus.
Let’s dive into a step-by-step guide on how to edit the header in WordPress.
Check Your Theme’s Customization Options
The easiest way to edit your header is from the customization options of your WordPress theme.
- From the WordPress dashboard, navigate to Appearance then click on Customize
- The WordPress Customizer will load with a menu on the left and a live preview of your site on the right. From the menu, click on Header or Header Image, dependent on your theme.
Note: Options available will depend on your theme. Not all themes have options to edit the header directly.
Use a Plugin – Custom Header Images Plugin
For themes that don’t provide direct options, plugins like Custom Header Images are handy.
- Install and activate the Custom Header Images Plugin from your WordPress dashboard
- Navigate to Settings and click on Custom Header Images
- Make your edits and click Save Changes
Use a Page Builder – Elementor
Page builders like Elementor boost flexibility by enabling advanced customization.
- Install and activate Elementor from your WordPress dashboard
- Click Edit with Elementor on any page
- Click on the header section, then choose Edit Section
- From this, you can change the layout, style, and other attributes
Edit Header PHP File
Warning: This method is advisable ONLY for advanced users as it can potentially break your site.
- From your Dashboard, go to Appearance and then click Theme Editor
- From the right side, locate the header.php file and click on it
- Your header’s PHP code will be visible on the screen. Make changes, then click Update File
Note: Always backup your site before making direct code edits.
Editing the header in WordPress can dramatically enhance your site, making it more appealing and functional for users. You may choose from various methods, which range from using the built-in customization options, utilizing plugins, adopting a page builder, or directly editing the PHP file. Remember, the method you choose depends on your technical skills and the look you wish to achieve. Good luck and happy editing!